Since the first quarter of 2022, the direct importer of fresh fruit and vegetables Port International is now an official member of SIFAV (Sustainability Initiative Fruit and Vegetables). The initiative’s purpose consists in actively contributing to a more sustainable supply chain for fresh fruit and vegetables regarding its economical, ecological, and social aspects. The focus lies on the reduction of the ecological footprint of individual products and their entire supply chain, the improvement of work conditions and incomes, as well as on the strengthening of reporting and transparency.
The initiative’s members belong to different work groups and work together towards the following goals:
- Reduction of carbon footprint by 25 %
- Reduction of food loss and waste by 25 %
- Implementation of a water standard for 70 % of the volume in regions with high water risk (WWF Risk Filter)
- Implementation of social standards for 90 % of the volume in high or medium risk countries (according to the World Governance Indicators, WGI)
- Analysis of the wage level and introduction of measures to achieve a living wage or income
- Implementation of corporate governance by taking into account humanitarian risks as well as ecological and social risks along the entire supply chain
By joining this initiative, Port International makes another clear statement for climate protection and expands its activities and efforts in this matter. More information on the company’s commitment can be found on its homepage www.port-international.com.
“We are glad that we joined this committed initiative. SIFAV’s ambitious goals help us implement measures together with our supply chain partners and learn from each other in the process”, announce Marlene Kühling and Jan Köbbing from the Sustainability Department of Port International.
About Port International:
In 1875, the family Port established the company T.Port and, by doing so, laid the foundations for today’s group of companies. Nowadays, Port International supplies wholesalers and supermarket chains all over the world with fresh fruit and vegetables from every continent. The fruit importer with international locations is one of the market leaders for organic and Fairtrade products in Europe and in 2019 launched BE CLIMATE, the first brand of climate-neutral fruit and vegetables. At the end of 2021, the company was awarded the Sustainability Heroes Award in the category “Carbon Footprint”.